Saturday, July 26, 2008

Delhi Police "Zindabad"

It was the 17th of June, I was in a car with my family going to the New Delhi station to catch the train. Scarcely had we entered Delhi, we were stopped by a police constable at the Chilla Check post. He told us that we were not allowed to carry suitcases on the roof of the car.



I was a little surprised but as we were running a little late, I pulled out Rs.100/- note and gave it to the constable and asked the driver to move. As we moved, we saw the constable and his colleagues have a good laugh. I realised that we were taken for a ride. I immediately called 100 and lodged a formal complaint.

On the 2nd of July, we had a visitor from the Delhi Police. Yes , an officer of the Delhi Police had come home to take a statement from me. He told me that all the 4 constables at the Chilla Check Post had been rounded up within 30 minutes of my complaint. They were reporting to the Police Station but were given no assignments, a kind of suspension, I guess.

Well I was suitably impressed and told the officer Delhi Police was not so bad after all.

George Abraham

No comments: